Month: December 2006
You have probably heard about broandband internet- DSL and you also probably have heard about VoIP (Voice over IP).
DSL- Broadband internet access connects your home computers to the Internet. There are primarily two types of internet connections- Dial-up and Broadband. Broadband can come in verious formats- Cable, DSL, Satellite, Wireless. (All broadband users can use VoIP calling- for DSL too. Most people think that you have to have a local telephone line to have DSL but that is not true. YOu can have DSL without a local telephone service. They call it Naked DSL or Dry Loop DSL)
VoIP- This is Internet calling. Previously telecom companies had PSTN lines over which we made calls to our friends and relatives. Now we have Internet calling. The Internet which carries information about various websites for you now also carries your voice. You can call using Internet.
Well, well, well….what is the deal hear?
Get Vonage, Sunrocket or Packet8 internet if you have Broadband Internet. You are probably paying 20 to 30 dollars each month to Verizon or SBC for your local telephone service. Stop that service and save that money and spend it on UNLIMITED LONG DISTANCE.
If you have broadband, get rid of local telephone service and order Vonage, SunRocket or Packet8. They give you unlimited local and long distance calls for 15 to 25 dollars per month.
What are the advantages of VoIP?
1. It saves money! For the 25 dollars that you are paying just for your phone and local calling, you can get unlimited local and long distance calling with VoIP. Do you see the value here. Same dollars are getting you much more with VoIP here.
2. You are not tied to the area code you live in. I am in 805 area code but as most of my relatives live in 714 area, I can choose to have a phone number in 714 area code so all my relatives can call me as local calling.
3. VoIP services come with so many facilities- for FREE. You get free VoiceMail, 3 way calling, Call waiting, speed-dialing, etc.
4. If your wife takes you to live with your in-laws for a week, take your VoIP phone adapter and connect it to their Broadband router/modem there and you will not miss a single call even if you are not at home.
5. If you have relative in countries like India, China, or anywhere in the world, you can give them a US number there. They can call anyone in the US, Canada or Europe (in some cases) Unlimited for a fixed monthly fee. My brother-in-law uses Vonace from his office in India. That helps his business too.
I love deals, opportunities to get something free or for less!!! 🙂
What is a deal?
When you get more than most other people for the same amount, it is a deal. As an example, normally people pay 400 dollars for a round trip New York to Los Angeles travel; however, if you can travel same route round trip for 200 dollars, you got a deal!!! If you buy a 1000 dollar laptop for 500 dollars, that is a deal!!!
Why do I like deals?
- I like saving money. Period. If I am able to pay less for the same thing, why shouldn’t I save some money? So this is primary reason why I like deals.
- This is after tax money, dude! Whenever you buy something, you are paying with after tax money. Depending on your tax bracket, every dollar in your pocket or in your bank is there after paying uptp 40% tax. So saving a 100 dollars on a computer LCD monitor in a nice slick deal is actually equal to 140 dollars of your income.
- I like the excitement! Do you remember you working hard to get few more marks than your friends when you were in school or college? This is a similar situation- a similar type of competition. Here you try to pay less than what others are paying! So one reason, I like deals, is the sheer excitement it offers. The bragging rights it comes with (One caution: your friends do not like your bragging much because they are still not ready to take you as smarter then them– Don’t we call every bright student a “geek”? So don’t worry.)
- Income and expense— both are two sides of the same coin. They both need smart management. We all try to augment our income, don’t we? (Ask the friend who criticised you for your smart deal! He would agree). So when we are working hard to maximise our salary, profit, bonus, income, why shouldn’t we be working littler harder to lower our expenses? Don’t take me wrong. I am not talking about not buying things. I am not talking about not enjoying the best the life (or the producers) has to offer. All I am saying is- try to pay less for the same thing. Little homework can help you get the same thing- with less money and more excitement. Every dollar saved in an EXPENSE is like more than a dollar (don’t forget about the taxes, dude!) INCOME.
- It makes you generous!!! It gets you closer to God, I mean Krishna!!! Are you surprised? Most of us, no offense, take in more than what we give back to society, community, friends, nation! We consume the world that God has given us instead of making it a better world or by giving back to society. The very simple thing in every relationship, and the heart of Hindu religion, is to constantly look at the equation of GIVING and TAKING. त्यक्तेन भुंजीथा. Enjoy by giving away. Giving away gives you more pleasure than consuming it. Enough of philosophy. My point is— it is much easiery to give away something that you have gotten in a deal. If you are true deal lover, you will agree that Deals have made you more generous than what you would have been otherwise. It is easier to part away a 10 dollar thing than a 20 dollar thing, right?
- Money is a new universal language! The whole modern world understands just one language- Money. Go to any part in the world and hand over a dollar bill to someone! You can make him/her smile!! You don’t need to know her language!!! Money is the power (which gets Bush in war with Iraq LOL), money is a the communication amoung nationsand money is the medium that facilitates trading. So better dealmaking skills give you power and help you get an edge over others. Money and deals- both go together.
So welcome to this wonderful place on the Intenet where I want to share my deals and want to listen from you.